Fedora Core 3 Install on Dell Inspiron 8200
|Processor||1.8GHz Pentium 4 M
|BIOS||Phoenix BIOS A10
|Display||15" SXGA+ (1400x1050) @24bit
|Video Card||32MB DDR 4X AGP NVidia NV17 (GeForce 440 Go)
|RAM||512MB DDR 266MHz (2 DIMM) SODIMM
|Hard drive||40GB, 5400RPM; Hitachi DK23EB-40
|Fixed optical||24X CD-RW/DVD combo; Samsung CDRW/DVD SN-324B
|Modem||v.92 56Kb internal softmodem; PCTel 2304WT V.92 MDC
|LAN||10/100Mb LAN; 3C920 (3C905C-TX compatible) controller
|WLAN||Dell TrueMobile 1150 wireless mini-PCI (has Agere MPC13A-20/R chip)
|Firewire||IEEE 1394 (Firewire/i.Link); TI OHCI Compliant controller
|USB||2 slot USB 1.0; Intel 82801CA/CAM
|PCMCIA||2 slot; TI PCI-4451 controller
|Audio||Crystal WDM Audio Codec (Cirrhus Logic CS 4205)
I previously described my experiences
installing Red Hat 8.0
Red Hat 9.0
on my Inspiron 8200.
Here I describe my experiences installing Fedora Core 3 on that machine.
(I did not do an upgrade.)
Bottom line summary: The system looks great and runs great after
a few tweaks, but ultimately I abandoned it and went back to RH 9,
because I could not get suspend/resume to work at all satisfactorily.
- I booted the machine with FC3 CD 1 in my DVD drive.
I took the opportunity offered to verify all the CD-Rs.
(A good thing, too! My CD drive wrote multiple unreadable
CDs, and I had to burn the bad ones again on a different machine.)
I did a graphical Workstation install and chose all the defaults that
the install presented me.
I configured my network interfaces, etc., as part of the install process.
Then I let 'er rip.
- When the install finished (about an hour total),
I immediately ran up2date
and updated everything, including the kernel.
The update went well, though it took awhile.
- I rebooted to see how the install/up2date went.
How'd It Go?
For the most part, things went quite well.
The first thing I did was to change the entry in /etc/inittab
to set the run level to 3, not 5, so I suppressed graphical login.
I expected to get poor screen resolution when I started X, and I did.
- I downloaded and installed the latest nVidia driver (6629).
Once I followed the install instructions and tweaked the xorg.conf
file (replacing XF86Config), the screen looked wonderful.
I had to fuss a bit to get the system to load the nvidia
module. I don't understand why I needed to do this.
I did not have to do so for RH 9.
- The mouse/touchpad worked out of the box. Unlike in RH9, the
Mouse System Preferences screen actually adjusted the touchpad's response,
and it "stuck".
- Sound works great out of the box.
I just could not get it to work.
I got suspend to work, but resume left me with a non-functioning
After a process of elimination, I eliminated the video driver and
(I think) the wireless driver as culprits. I turned off ACPI and
turned on APM (acpi=off apm=on in grub.conf
In the end I concluded there was something odd happening with the
disk controller or drive, because it seemed that, after resume,
the system locked up with the first physical disk access.
Because I consider suspend/resume to be essential for my use of
the machine, I reluctantly had to abandon FC3 and go back to RH9.
Because it was well down on my list of interests,
I never determined whether I could get the softmodem to work.
Installing FC3 went very well. I'm impressed.
But I'm very disappointed that I could not get suspend/resume
to work and that I had to abandon FC3 in favor of RH 9.
Last modified: 15 January 2006
$Id: i8200-fc3.html,v 1.2 2006/01/15 18:41:21 dmk Exp $